Do you know how to take your vitamins and supplements?
Timing is everything when it comes to taking your vitamins and supplements, so we’ve put together a guide to help you maximize the powerful health benefits that come from taking them at the right time.
Read more about this on our blog:
-Probiotics – Probiotics are best taken in the morning on an empty stomach.
• When the stomach is empty, digestive activity is quiet and stomach acid and pH balance are relatively low, increasing the chances for the helpful microorganisms to thrive.
-Iron – Iron is best absorbed in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Caffeine, dairy and calcium can negatively affect absorption, so it’s best to avoid these for several hours after taking iron.
-Multivitamins – Take multivitamins with your first meal. In the morning!
• As multivitamins contain both water and fat soluble vitamins, be sure to include some healthy fats with your meal for optimal absorption.
-B-Complex vitamins – Taking B vitamins with breakfast helps to boost your metabolism and convert your food into energy, which can be used throughout the day.
-Vitamin C- Vitamin C is best taken in the morning to support the immune system and boost energy levels.
• Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin that lasts only a few hours in the blood stream, so if your formula recommends more than 1 tablet per day, take it in divided doses with meals to get the full benefit.
-Vitamin D – Vitamin D is best taken with a meal that contains dietary fats.
• It’s possible that Vitamin D can negatively affect sleep, so lunch time is a good time to get your Vitamin D.
-Iodine – Iodine is not stored in the body, so regular intake is needed. kelp tablets taken with lunch may boost midday energy levels.
-Vitamin K – Vitamin K is best absorbed along with dietary fats and ideally should be taken during the middle of the day.
• Avoid taking vitamin K if you are taking Coumadin or any anticoagulant prescription drug, as Vitamin K can interfere with the effects of the medication.
– Fish oil – Important to support many aspects of health, fish oil is best taken with a main meal like dinner to aid absorption.
-Calcium – Calcium aids nerve transmission and muscle function. To get the full benefit, take calcium in the evening along with magnesium.
-Magnesium – Magnesium has a calming effect on the muscles and nervous system and may aid restful sleep.
• Magnesium works synergistically with calcium, so take these together either as individual supplements or in a combined formula.
-Digestive Enzymes – Digestive enzymes can be taken with any meal or within 30 minutes of your meal. Unless you have serious digestive issues, they don’t necessarily need to be taken with light meals or snacks, but can be very beneficial for optimal breakdown and absorption of nutrients when taken with main meals.
-Fiber – Fiber supplements may be taken either first thing in the morning or before bed. Be sure to take fiber with a full glass of water and get plenty of water during the day. Fiber can delay or reduce the absorption of certain medications so always check with your healthcare provider before taking.
Should you have any questions about the best time to take supplements or any other supplement related questions, please call or email Professional Supplement Center.
SUBSCRIBE TO US HERE!
GET SOCIAL WITH US!