Cytomel is a T3 only thyroid medication which happens to also be the most powerful thyroid medication available.
The only problem? It can sometimes be associated with hair loss and, even though the medication is great, you should be aware of this problem if you are using it or thinking about using it.
Before we jump in, just realize that Cytomel is the brand name T3 medication but this information also applies to liothyronine which is the generic version of Cytomel.
There are 3 main ways that Cytomel may cause hair loss:
#1. Hair loss related directly to the medication.
– The first cause of hair loss has to do with the medication itself. The good news is that this is typically temporary and should resolve within 2-4 months (3-6 months at most). The exact mechanism of this hair loss is not known. The treatment for this issue is to give it time and to be patient!
#2. Hair loss related to an excessively high dose.
– This cause of Cytomel-related hair loss is dose-dependent and only occurs if your dose is too high. Because Cytomel is the strongest thyroid medication it is possible for you to take too much which may result in a hyperthyroid state and hair loss. The treatment for this issue is to simply reduce your dose.
#3. Hair loss related to insufficient dosing.
– Lastly, and perhaps most common, is hair loss related to an insufficient dose. Because Cytomel is so strong, doctors tend to underdose patients when they start taking it. This may result in a persistent hypothyroid state which leads to persistent hair loss. The treatment for this issue is to simply increase your dose.
Despite these potential issues I still believe that Cytomel remains as a great medication (perhaps one of the best). If you are considering using Cytomel don’t let this information scare you away because most people who use it do NOT experience hair loss.
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: +
– For hair loss:
– For weight management: +
– For gut health:
– For energy and adrenal health: +
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here:
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.